• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Arthritis - mega thread (mega merged)

Oats

Bluelighter
I think i may have it. i have constant pains in my right knee. if im sitting down all day at school, im fine and none or hardly any pain. but like today i was at work for 5hours and the end of my shift i could barely keep my foot on the gas petal due to so much pain in my knee. if it gets cold suddenly or at all my knee starts to ache. what should i do about getting it checked out etc? i need help this hurts so bad. i always have advil with me but other than that i just self medicate with smoking weed, it helps ALOT.

tips?:D

welcome to bluelight :)

a vegan diet has be shown to reduce arthritis inflamation.

hope this helps

I love meat too much, and i have acid reflux so i dont eat much fruits and most vegetables..i cant live off bread and peanuts lol!
THANK YOU THO

maybe you should try a green juice fast to clear you out. do you want to eat for taste or do you want to be healthy? if you keep eating animal products you are going to be inflamed. so its your choice. do you want to live a life pain, surgery, and drugs, or do you want to take your health into your own hands and cure your inflammation with diet?

Not to mention, Oats, that plenty of fruits and vegetables do not contain enough acid to agitate acid reflux--I have a mostly plant-based diet (had an entirely plant-based diet for almost two years) and don't have issues with acid reflux from food alone unless I eat either a lot all at once, or a lot of processed foods.

Tried finding the list I found awhile back of foods to avoid if you have acid reflux and cannot find it. But basically, avoid highly processed foods, and foods with acids like tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc. Some people are also sensitive to dairy/eggs with reflux.

CURE!!
ive been eating more fruits and greens lately.
i have also been drinking plenty of green tea lately. hopefully seeing a doctor soon!

Dude I love your username! It's so simple and awesome :D

Sorry to be off topic. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, though. My mom has arthritis and it's beginning to worry us both. I don't really know much about it myself and have really only started to look into the subject. Hopefully, the OP and I will both get some good help here :)

OP, wishing you all the best of health. <3 Again, apologies for not having anything to contribute (although I am the only guy to recognize the awesomeness in your name....just sayin)

Mehm said:
a vegan diet has be shown to reduce arthritis inflamation.
Oh wow, talk about barking up the wrong fucking tree when it comes to my mom. :!
Oats said:
i just self medicate with smoking weed, it helps ALOT.
Also the wrong tree, unfortunately :(

Do you have insurance? If so your best bet is to go see a rheumatologist. I have psoriatic arthritis, and it is pretty severe. When my flare-ups are at their worst every single joint in my body is very inflamed, making pretty much every movement excruciating painful. I was put on methotrexate, and while it did cause my flare-up to mostly go away, it gave me horrible side-effects and is a very nasty medication. You could try something like enbrel, but those medications are very expensive and new so not much is know about long-term complications.

Other than seeing a rheumatologist, excersie can be beneficial, but it has to be the types of exercise that do not put too much stress on your inflammed joints, such as using an elpitical instead of jogging. Water aerobics is probably the safest and most effective method of exercising, and will help allviate pain in your joints. Anti-inflammatories can be effective, but should not be taken for more than a month or two at a time due to possible liver toxicity and stomach ulcers.

Certain foods also can trigger worsening symptoms, such as red meat. Eating a healthy diet that has plenty of berrys and vegetables will be very beneficial.

Last edited:
Do you have insurance? If so your best bet is to go see a rheumatologist. I have psoriatic arthritis, and it is pretty severe. When my flare-ups are at their worst every single joint in my body is very inflamed, making pretty much every movement excruciating painful. I was put on methotrexate, and while it did cause my flare-up to mostly go away, it gave me horrible side-effects and is a very nasty medication. You could try something like enbrel, but those medications are very expensive and new so not much is know about long-term complications.

Other than seeing a rheumatologist, excersie can be beneficial, but it has to be the types of exercise that do not put too much stress on your inflammed joints, such as using an elpitical instead of jogging. Water aerobics is probably the safest and most effective method of exercising, and will help allviate pain in your joints. Anti-inflammatories can be effective, but should not be taken for more than a month or two at a time due to possible liver toxicity and stomach ulcers.

Certain foods also can trigger worsening symptoms, such as red meat. Eating a healthy diet that has plenty of berrys and vegetables will be very beneficial.

thanks i just got a gym membership yesterday and wen to the gym today for the first time. i love berries so ill look into that!

Dude I love your username! It's so simple and awesome :D

Sorry to be off topic. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, though. My mom has arthritis and it's beginning to worry us both. I don't really know much about it myself and have really only started to look into the subject. Hopefully, the OP and I will both get some good help here :)

OP, wishing you all the best of health. <3 Again, apologies for not having anything to contribute (although I am the only guy to recognize the awesomeness in your name....just sayin)

Oh wow, talk about barking up the wrong fucking tree when it comes to my mom. :!
Also the wrong tree, unfortunately :(

thank you for the name compliments![: i hope you can help your mom out, or at least get her help. i dont know if my insurance will cover it. ill see. also if i may ask why did you say wrong tree when you had quote me?

Hi Oats, I've had severe rheumatoid arthritis in my large joints for 3 years. I'm 22. I have found that diet truly is the most powerful way to alter your disease, equalling the power of drugs. I also take Enbrel, which I get no side effects (that I'm aware of) from, and it works great. Methotrexate made me feel awful and didn't help at all. However, even after enbrel and dietary changes and supplements and herbs, I'm still suffering. But I am sure that if I were on a standard American diet, I would be close to dead right now, no exaggeration.

Things I have eliminated that were seriously exacerbating my inflammation: SUGAR, wheat, all meat except fish, all dairy, oats (sorry ;) ), eggs, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, any type of grain-flour, even if it's gluten free, fried things, citrus, most processed foods.

Things that are big staples of my diet: FISH, NUTS, VEGGIES, almond butter, tahini, bee pollen, berries, hummus, kale, other raw/whole veggies and fruits.

Consider yourself lucky to have pain only in your knee (so far, i guess). I have it in all 12 major joints.

Also, I wonder if weed would work for me. I do know that psychedelics actually reduce inflammation for me. If only I could have a Peyote button for breakfast every morning. Sigh. I should get on that. I don't do weed because it causes social anxiety for me. K, hope this helps.

I too, have Rheumatoid arthritis and Marijuana is my medicine too. Fuckin' hurts though!

i always find weed has helped, and i havent noticed and pain when i take acid. maybe cuz it just numbs my whole body which is coool[:

NO. LSD does not numb your body and that's not how it makes you feel better. Psychedelics suppress the immune system a little (and rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder). There is a study that shows that psychedelics, or 5h2-a recepter antagonism inhibits the TNF-alpha inflammatory pathway, which is what governs RA inflammation. Look it up (or wait a couple hours and I'll post the link). Gotta go.

i didnt mean literally numb it. LSD, i dont know ive just never noticed any pain from my knee when im on LSD.

You guys should look into the move "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It is about a guy with an auto-immune disorder who goes on a 60 day juice fast, which allows him to go off his meds. I know nothing about the different varieties of auto-immune disorders...just throwing that out there. good luck and love to you both

See, if I were fat, I'd just juice fast all the time and be totally healthy. The problem is, even though juice fasting clears up my symptoms, I am DAMN SKINNY. WTF do I do.

Seriously: If I could figure out how to get my calories and protein but still fast (somehow?) I would be cured. Fasting clears up EVERYTHING.

I hear ya. I just tried a juice fast and came to the conclusion that I should gain more weight! Have you tried hot yoga at all?

No, I can barely do yoga at all. My wrists, elbows and shoulders are deteriorated (most of the cartilage is GONE) to the point where I can't support my bodyweight with my arms. I have one hip replacement, and the other hip has virtually no cartilage, so.

Also, my hamstrings are mysteriously short; putting my hips at a 150 degree angle stretches my hamstrings. Yoga is very limited/painful for me.

EDIT: I will literally give 200 dollars to anyone here who figures out how to solve the problem that fasting makes me better, but I need to eat. Or any other way to make my inflammation go away.

Last edited: